He was about 91 or 92 in this picture, and though he isn't giving the camera his normally big smile, I love that his arm is around me.
On Sunday, we had the traditional prayers said in church for him, and the family members who were able to attend, took up two pews in our tiny church.
I have many photos of my dad, and I can hear him call me by his pet name for me, but I will admit to missing his attention and the conversations we used to have. He had a way of making you feel that nobody else, and nothing else, was as important as what was going on between the two of you when you were with him. No matter how mundane.
On Monday, my older daughter turned 26. YIKES! She was the she-devil as a youngster, and makes her living as a social worker. When we talk about her work and the counselling that she does, I can't believe that she is my kid.

She fills me with pride.

Daughter number two is visiting a friend in Europe. This was a graduation present to herself. When she returns, she will be packing her things and moving to San Diego for her (nursing) service work at a clinic for the homeless. She will be there for ten months, coming home (we hope) for Christmas, and then in June when the job ends. I have asked her to not fall in love out there with either a person, or the city. I want her home again. Selfish, I know!
I will be checking out what is new with you folks, but I may not have time to post until that project is finished.
I am so glad you found my blog about my parents and enjoyed reading about them....I got so many nice comments left about that post...It was fun to write it...And I love finding other bloggers from Jersey...I just got back from Princeton last night after 3 weeks visiting daughter...we hope to move back someday to LBI.....I loved you Asbury Park post...We were there a number of years ago and took pictures of how bad it had gotten. It's nice to see that they are fixing the place up....and I also loved the picture of you and your dad.....where in Jersey do you live??
ReplyDeleteYour sweet, sweet daddy! I loved reading this tribute to him, Jenny, and I loved hearing about your daughters, too. Sending you big hugs and thinking of you as you miss your father. I miss mine, too. His birthday was in July, and not a day goes by that I don't miss him and thank God that I had a father just like him. I think he is the person I would most like to see in Heaven (outside of the Lord Himself).
ReplyDeleteXO,
Sheila :-)
P.S. His mother's nickname was Jenny, too!
Luv the "soft" look to your Mind Wide Open creation!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful legacy your family has. Your family is truly a blessing through all generations! Also, your new art creation is lovely!
ReplyDeleteAnge
Jenny, Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! Do not apologize. I have been behind in keeping up with my blogging friends. I am blessed to have such precious blog companions who always leave such kind words. I am beginning to relate to your quote about your pregnant belly with twins! LOL. However, I know I still have a ways to go.It should get really interesting in another month or so. Have a great day sweet lady! Ange
ReplyDeleteHi Jenny
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post!
I am missing my Dad too this month --he would have been 98 at the end of August but he passed at 60 years of age when I was 18. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him.
Your daughters sound as lovely as you! It will be fun to see what you are making for daughter#2!
Thank you for visiting Juxtapose in Westfield NJ to see my artwork! I am FLATTERED! wow. Did you meet Gerri? did you tell her you found her via my blog? that is always good for her to know, good business!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your kind words and for taking the time to leave a comment, you are certainly very thoughtful!
Hi Jenny...just checking in to see how your friend Christopher is doing?? I read the post to my husband...when we lived in Jersey he surfed all the time from 15yrs. on...so he was upset to hear of the accident.....I also showed him your pictures from Asbury Park....we were there a few years back when the place looked like nightmare...it's nice to see it's coming back to life although we are big LBI fans....infact we hope to retire there one of these days.....Where do you live? We grew up in Rahway...you know home of the state pen.....Sue in Atlanta...
ReplyDeletesueadivari@bellsouth.net
A beautiful tribute to your dad.
ReplyDelete