Sunday, November 29, 2009

Greetings!

Good afternoon!
It is the Sunday after Thanksgiving, a very warm and sunny Sunday, and my husband is outside getting some yard work done. Normally I would be working beside him, but I felt that since he monopolizes this computer during the week, I would take advantage of the open seat. Of course, I may get interrupted half a dozen times by his calling for me, as I did just now...

Thanksgiving was pretty quiet by our usual standards. My two girls stayed at their homes (AZ. and CA.) the sons' girlfriends didn't come for their visits until later in the evening and most of the nieces and nephews were elsewhere, so there were only (a quiet) eight of us. However, something that never usually happens when I cook a turkey, happened this year.
Our turkey was ready about 2 hours before we expected, so it was a mad dash to complete those last few dishes. Thankfully, the side dishes that my brother and my sister brought for the dinner were hot hot hot, so we didn't have to worry about reheating! Everything was delish - we have had scrumptious leftovers ever since- AND everyone went home with goodie platters!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I stayed away from the stores this weekend. I have been using any free time lately, to craft the greeting cards which you can see below.
This first card was difficult to photograph because there is a clear transparency over the card which caused a lot of reflection.
In fact, I can't believe the problems I had in getting the color to look like the actual cards. I am chuckling about this though, because if you can believe this, I once photographed products as part of my job when I worked for a point of purchase display company!
Hmmm...not so clear...but I think the photos will enlarge by clicking on them if you are interested.






Most of the cards were done using a master board that I had painted, copied and cut, and/or in combinations of scrapbooking papers, photos that I’d taken, rubber stamps, beads, sequins, glitter, and so on. It has been fun, but every piece is cut with an x-acto knife or scissors (or torn) because I don’t like using my paper cutter for small pieces, and I don’t have one of those fancy machines that (I guess) do the cut work for you. (I really don’t know how those things work.) So it is time consuming, but I am not complaining. It is very peaceful in my little room.

After I post this I will probably bring some of our boxes of Christmas decorations up from the basement to go through, and then I may have to go to the grocery store. Not one of my favorite activities, but since I shop for my mother as well, I do have to hit the store at some point.

OH! As an update…These past two Saturday nights, we have visited with our friend Chris. You may remember him from my older posts about our friend who broke his neck while surfing? Last week he came down here to visit with us, and last night we went to his home for dinner. Chris is a miracle. He moves a bit like he has a stiff neck, but he is able to breathe, walk, talk, use his arms, etc., etc.! And aside from the slightly tilted, stilted look, he is quite the normal, nutty guy we love and adore. What a blessing for us.

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend, and I hope to talk to you again real soon.
p.s. I was only interrupted three times while writing this post!






10 comments:

  1. Your cards are lovely! And the remedy to the computer problem is "two computers". DH figured that out long ago and bought one for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear the good news about your friend Chris. God has blessed him indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, lady! Was so glad to see you pop up today! Have missed you!!!

    That's such great news about Chris. Prayers answered.

    And I'm happy to see that you had such a good Thanksgiving and are having some time to create. Loved seeing all your neat cards. I did brave the crowds this weekend, but I went out today... which wasn't as bad. God quite a bit done.

    Sending you much love across the miles...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been very busy! Love the cards...they will be like little gifts on their own! Wonderful to hear the good news about Chris...I still think it is funny that both your husband and my husband have best friends named Chris. Thanksgiving sounds like it was just right this year..we also enjoyed a smaller group. Like you, I am slowly (very slowly) dragging decorations out of the basement. Right now, I have a lit wreath on the front porch...right above the pumpkins! I think I will need to commit to one holiday or the other. How about a walk at the end of the week?
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your card designs--it looks like you are having a ton of fun creating them.
    Also, loved your photos of entrances and gateways in the earlier post. There is something very enchanting and welcoming in the way you presented them--thanks for sharing!
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for the kind words.
    Susan, you reminded me that I have pumpkins still, at my front door. I guess those will have to go...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, I love your cards. Clearly a lot of work went in to each one of them. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news about your friend Chris! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. I am blog hopping today and I haven't hopped by here lately...looks like you created some lovely cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was so good to reads that your friend was doing so well! It does sound like a miracle..he was very lucky!

    You holiday cards were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete