This week I attended the Monmouth Festival of the Arts. I always look forward to this affair. I love to see the juried artwork that is on display, but more than that, I love to sit in on the artist demonstrations. This year I watched an oil painting portrait come alive before my eyes in just an hour. There was a model posing, and I sat mesmerized.
This was done in 20 minutes, without a sketch on the canvas first. This consists of shadows only.
Then the artist (Irene Baily) put in the highlights. Another 20 minutes.
And for demonstration purposes, the completed portrait.
All week (in between running back and forth for my job) I sat and watched acrylic painters, waterpainting artists, and even someone who knits, who brought in needles and yarn in order to teach us a lace stitch. I can't wait to get out my needles to try a scarf with that new stitch! I know it isn't scarf weather, but that is ok! I can try it in a lighter silky yarn. The artists are happy to answer questions, and go over ideas, and share their techniques. It is a priceless chance to learn.
On my way home after the first day of the festival, I was awed by the sky and clouds, and then suddenly remembered that I had my camera with me. I started to snap pictures.

Darn wires...

Darn wires...
I really liked the way the light was reflecting off of the cross in the next photo, but I wish I'd shot a bit more to the left, so that the cross would be closer to the center...not in the center of the photo, just closer, so that this wouldn't look so much like two different photos joined at the center. I was stopped at a light for about five seconds before it turned to green. I HAD to move QUICKLY!!



I stopped at my mother's on my way home. There is a bird's nest in the rhododendron (at least that's what I think this bush, tree, is!) that is next to her front door. In it, is a bird's nest! Can you see it?
I reached out my arm with the camera, knowing the mother wasn't in there (I could just see over the top of the nest) and snapped this next photo.
I was surprised. Where is it's mother?? Do you remember the book, Are You My Mother?And one last photo from Sunday evening...

Today, my husband and I went to a funeral for the husband of one of his (our) cousin's. The man had been ill for a couple of years, and things were bad of late. He was 57- not so old- and has a young daughter. The ceremony was short, but was filled with wonderfully, comforting thoughts.






Today, my husband and I went to a funeral for the husband of one of his (our) cousin's. The man had been ill for a couple of years, and things were bad of late. He was 57- not so old- and has a young daughter. The ceremony was short, but was filled with wonderfully, comforting thoughts.
I won't go into detail.
Sometimes when I look at the sky after a funeral, I see the most amazing sights.
Again, those darn wires (chuckle).










Sometimes clouds seem ordinary. And then there are days when they are fantastic with light and color. Looks like you had one of those beautiful sky days.
ReplyDeletep.s.thanks for visiting my blog. Bless you.
Hi...your pictures are great...and the best ones are the one's that you found fault with...The first sky picture with the telephone wires is perfect...The wires give it interest not just sky....it's positioned perfectly in the frame....and the sun shining on the cross...again perfect shot...just caught and not planned....it looks just right being off centered.....great job!...Sue.
ReplyDelete