I have finished my Haitian woman and I have titled this painting "Lespwa Fe Viv" or "Hope Makes One Live."
If you remember from a previous post, my daughter had taken the photo of the woman last year while in Haiti, assisting a medical team after the earthquake. As soon as I saw the photo I knew I needed to try to paint her. You can see a larger view of her by clicking on her.
She was painted in acrylics, on top of a painting that was going nowhere, and I used magazine pages on the canvas as well. All the magazine clippings were painted over, but they do contribute to the age-lines of her face. At least I think so! I had originally had flowers surrounding her, and a few butterflies, but decided they were unnecesary. I then painted pale green mountains behind her, but again, decided they were not needed! So, she is as she is, as she was on that day, when her photo was snapped.
(Disregard that little blip at the top of the painting. That is something that is actually behind the canvas, and with so many crazy things going on with our computer, I haven't been able to figure out how to crop a photo and save the changes!)
I really like the way you finished this painting, Jen. Good decision to keep it simple - she has a strength and dignity with no unnecessary details to detract from that. Her skin is beautiful and there is wonderful texture in her clothing and hat. Really love it. Hope you are planning to frame it beautifully!
ReplyDeleteAnd sending you warm wishes for a beautiful day for your daughter's wedding! What a joyful occasion!
I love this painting and I think you were right about taking the flowers out of it...this way you focus on her great face!
ReplyDeleteI understand that many folks in NJ are having a horrible time cleaning up after Irene...I didn't hear the final facts on that. Good luck on the wedding and I hope your daughter has a beautiful day!!
Mary
Jenny, You never cease to amaze me!
ReplyDelete