Friday, May 4, 2012

My Painting, and a Shout Out to Susan!

Some of these are taken with a flash, some without.  I have been having fun with this painting, as all I have to think about is matching the colors as closely as I can to the original, and making sure that no part stands out any more than another.  Just copy.  There is no worry about composition. or focal point, nor choosing the color scheme.





I do have to turn the canvas over occasionally in order to work with a steady hand.  I worked on the two faces on the right yesterday, and I have already toned down the red in the one.  Last night, around midnight, I walked into the room and picked up a brush.  I swooshed the canvas with a brush over the face, then asked myself if I was crazy to start that at that hour.  I decided that though I may be crazy sometimes, I wasn't going to be last night. 

When I started this blog, my father had just passed away about 4 months prior, my sons were in their first year at their respective colleges, my one daughter was graduating from college, and my other, from grad school.  Since that time, the boys have done wonderful things while in school, and are now graduating in 2 weeks.  Daughter number 1 is a licensed social worker, has been married now for 7 months, and she and her hubby just became homeowners. Daughter number 2,  the nurse who volunteered for a year in a San Diego health/hospital for the homeless, has been working at a local hospital in pediatrics for the last year.
I am proud of them, always have been, and I don't mean to sound like I am bragging about them.  It's just that this blog, begun while dealing with a huge loss (my dad was a wonderfully intelligent, sweet man) has put into perspective for me, how life truly does go on.  Things happen, good/bad, but we go on.  If we are lucky.  And I am lucky.  I know it, and acknowledge it.
I haven't done as much writing as I did back in the beginning, though I am still reading others' blogs.  I am doing more art work, and learning from the generous artists who post their artwork along with their methods and the tools that they use.  Everybody serves as an inspiration to me.  The non-art blogs that I read are just as wonderful.  I see parts of the country I've never seen, talked to people in other countries, heard about books that I have gone on to read, read about movies that I may or may not see. I've seen people's gardens and home interiors.  I've read about illnesses, and likewise, fighting spirits.  I could go on! 

Have you ever thought about how "blogging" has influenced your life?  My friend Susan, of http://sueskitchen.typepad.com/black_eyed_susans_kitchen/  is the person who introduced me to blogging.  It was such an innocent meeting- I had run into her while taking a walk after visiting my dad in the hospital.  She took a picture, and mentioned her blog.  Sometime after that, I checked out what she was talking about, and I haven't looked back!  So I say- thanks, Susan!
How did you get involved/hear about blogs?  Can you remember? 
- and now, as is typical- I have been sitting at this computer for much too long, and have to get busy with my errands for the day!

Have a good weekend!
xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jenny! Sometimes the "crazy" work we get to in the middle of the night can be the most expressive. My blog began because my friend Suzy Spence of http://georgiapeachez.typepad.com another extraordinary woman and artist urged me to write. I paid it forward.
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I came to blogging back in 2005. I was searching for artsy/crafty sites and found a few blogs. That was it! I was hooked and soon began my own. It has changed over the years but I enjoy it so much...it has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete