Hello! Boy, I only took a year off from posting, and once again there have been changes to how one posts!
I didn't mean to take this long of a break. I just got busy. LOL! Who isn't busy? I have more blogs to visit than ever, though they aren't listed on my sidebar (is it still called that?) and that takes up so much of my time. I am almost inhibited by what I read- the creativity floors me!
Since finishing the painting in the last post, I have painted, stitched, quilted (and once did all three in a pillow for a friend) needlepointed and made quite a few greeting cards, too.
I have also been fortunate enough to visit my daughter with my husband at her home in Arizona. Not once, but twice! The first time was in October, and then in August we went again to surprise her for her 30th birthday.
I took a few classes in July as well. Two were with Joanne Sharpe, and one was with Jane LaFazio. The three were great fun and I dream of the possibilities for next year!
Since we live at the Jersey Shore, we tend to have visitors during the summer, so there was quite a bit of entertaining going on around here, too!
The big thing that is happening right now in my life, and what occupies my mind and spirit most, is that my mother, at 89 years of age, is really beginning to show her years. NOT in her face, mind you, she has the skin of a newborn, but her physical and mental issues are growing.
Last night a dear friend of mine called and told me that her mom is beginning to have the same problems. Her mother is nine months younger than mine, but the way she describes her mother is how mine was 9 months ago.
I shot her an email this morning about how I try and cope.
This is what I said~
1. Laughter- You gotta keep a sense of humor. Sometimes you have to shake your head, shrug your shoulders, and just- uh huh-and yup- your mother. She is going to come out with some crazy statements - go with them.
2. Friends- people who know what you are going through, and people who have no idea but are nice to be around. Escape your reality with both sets of friends.
3. Movies- we don't go anymore, but we will watch them on tv. all kinds. even the ones that make me cry.
4. TV- yup- I escape with decorating shows, sometimes oohing and aahing, sometimes BASHING the spoiled people who "will have to update" what looks perfect to me.
5. Bookstores like Barnes and Noble, where you can sit in a chair and read the magazines for hours without being told you can't do that. I do it with the books too. Why not the library? Boring. I like the Strand bkstore in NYC (I think that's the name!) but I don't remember if there are seats!
(side note- I went to B and N again today.)
6. This should really be in the top 3 - tied with 1 and 2- Expressing what is inside- on canvas, on paper, through stitchery- w/e through pictures and/or words. Sometimes the urge to be creative is so strong that I can't focus on what to do or where to begin. (Just yesterday I went back to a painting that I began in March or April, based on a quote I'd read by Anais Nin. I had been at a standstill, not knowing which way to go with it. I decided to play with it, and well, we'll see what happens.)
7. Internet- yes- fb, and blogs, and sometimes news articles!
8. Newspaper-My dad always told me to keep current- it was good for the mind, so I read the paper while drinking my morning coffee, and then do the crossword puzzle and cryptoquote. Even when I have to work, I will get up earlier just to have that time. I like looking at magazines for inspiration, too.
9. I mentioned reading in bookstores, but forgot to mention that having books at home to read is important. I always have shelves of them waiting for me. I buy them at stores, off the internet, and at garage sales.
10. Oh yes- garage sales and estate sales. You never know what might be there- to read, to admire, to bring home and create with.
11. Traveling. Best way to escape. Isn't that an ad campaign? day trips, weekends and longer. What a way to rejuvenate, though I have to say that sometimes it makes coming back home to "issues" very hard.
12. Exercise also helps, though I'll admit I'd forgotten this in the original email to my friend. So that's my list of sanity savers. Have you anything special that you find helpful? See you over at your blogs! xoxox jenny
Great post Jenny! Through out your list, I kept thinking exercise...so important to have a physical outlet. In addition to walking and weights, I have been doing yoga a few days a week and it helps. My parents and inlaws are in the very same situation as your Mom...it ain't easy.
ReplyDelete