Once again, I am the only one awake in my home, and then only because of a nightmare.
I wander aimlessly from room to room with a cup of coffee in my hand, looking out the windows. I am amazed by the serenity.
At around 4 this morning a violent thunderstorm passed overhead. Usually most of us in this house will sleep through a storm and will only learn of it the next day. Last night’s storm woke everybody. This baby was right overhead. This was the boogeyman of storms. Even the dog was bothered- and he is not like other dogs that tremble and quake.
I stayed awake for a good ½ hour or more, until the storm abated and I could hear what sounded like one bird chirping. It was sort of like when Glenda sang to the munchkins- “Come out, come out, wherever you are…”
Pretty soon, a few more started in, and that was when I slept. Until the nightmare, which I know was related to a stupid late-night movie I watched a few weeks ago, about a home invasion. I didn’t mean to watch, but I got caught up in it.
That’s what happens to me…I see, hear, or read something disturbing, and I am guaranteed a nightmare. I will purposely watch, read or look at something, or a few things that are funny/pretty/sweet, ‘til I think I have forgotten that awful “whatever” and weeks will pass, then BAM!
So, here I am, now waiting for my newspaper. Maybe the delivery person overslept because of the storm??
What happens to birds anyway, when it storms?
I took these pictures of our roses last night after I pulled into my driveway because I liked the way they looked in the dark.
I snapped the photos with the headlights on and off.
My husband and I planted them a few years ago, and I was certain that I’d killed them last year. They had not been looking good at all, then all of a sudden- BLOOMS galore!
The photo below is from just about the same angle as the top photo. You can see what happened because of the storm. The first little branch is now broken, and the roses are all kind of drooping. I am sure that they will be fine eventually. Well, maybe not that first little grouping...



I enjoyed your early, early post...sorry to hear about your nightmares. I can't even watch the evening news because it causes trouble sleeping...have read the newspaper in small doses.
ReplyDeleteYour roses are beautiful...hope they survive the storms. :-)
Hey, we are supposed to have the rain tonight...hope it's not a whopping thunderstorm! The roses are...were beautiful, they will bounce back for sure. Just catching up...see that you have been busy unpacking, repacking that daughter that's home!
ReplyDeleteThat was one whopper of a storm! It woke me up and then I was tired all day. Brian had been working on a project for school till long past midnight, and then was woken at 4:00...had to pick him up from school early because he was falling asleep in class. The roses are beautiful. Love that little shot of pink when you get home. It was nice to see your son the other day too.
ReplyDelete♥, Susan
Those were some pretty sky shots, and your roses are amazing. Sorry the storm hammered them, but I bet they come back in profusion. I think the cold winter has made the plants look better this year, at least here. :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about your nightmare, Jenny. I used to love scary movies, and I can remember telling a friend of mine I was having nightmares. She said, what are you watching on TV? Nothing scary, but I had seen a horrible movie. I'll never forget this (she was old enough to be my grandmother), but she said, "Your mind is a receptacle, and when you put those things in there, that's where they stay or try to get out." I stopped doing scary movies at that point, and the nightmares improved to the point that I rarely have one. Usually I do if I'm under stress, and then my mother is involved and comes to help. Gotta love the fact that it's mom to the rescue! :-)So I can definitely identify with you having seen a scary show and then having it recur in dreams.
I don't sleep well in bad storms either. Yours sounded terrifying! Don't you hate being up like that and unable to sleep? As to bad storms, the other day, I was at a party with some people when it started to rain. As we were leaving, a bolt of lightening hit the ground, followed by a LOUD clap of thunder, and we all gasped silmultaneously. It was so close you could feel it in your heart. No one was hit, but it was one of those moments when everyone looked around to make sure no one had been hit. Then we laughed. But I couldn't get home fast enough! LOL!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Hi Jenny!
ReplyDeleteThat thunderstorm must have traveled east because it woke me up too! It didn't last long and thankfully did not do any damage.
I always wondered what happened to birds in high winds and thunderstorms too!
I hate scary movies but I like to read scary or horror stories by Stephen King. I guess I can control the scariness better when I';m in charge..lol!
I love how you capture the beauty after the storm in your post! It is such a great symbol of life and how God always brings lovely gifts after the rains and winds. And things always are more colorful after the cleansing down pour. I love your blog Jenny. I am always inspired by your gifts!! Ange
ReplyDelete