I'd been trying different photos, colors etc. for the header on this blog, and decided that this will be it for a while.
The painting was done by my grandmother when she was in her 70's. I didn't even know she could paint until then. I don't know where the inspiration came from for this painting. Did she copy a picture?
Everyone knew that my grandmother had a natural talent for sewing. She could whip up a complete outfit in no time at all- without a pattern. She would add details with lace and buttons. She would hand stitch seams, or designs on her fabric. She could sit at a sewing machine (the old Singer with the foot thing- you know what I mean!) and make that baby perform! She was truly amazing. She'd had her own shop in Larchmont, NY- I may have mentioned that in the past- and she had some pretty interesting customers. Sewing was her livelihood, and she passed that talent and love down to her daughter, and also to a few of her granddaughters. At one time, four of her granddaughters were making their own clothes. One of my cousins makes her living as a seamstress- she also had her own shop for a while- and her specialties are curtains, and bridal gowns and bridesmaid dresses. She is one of those naturally talented people!
But this painting?? I don't remember how I became the owner of it. I probably just asked her for it. I know that I loved it the moment I saw it. What I don't know is how or when she got the paints- she was pretty housebound by then- in an apartment- no car- and having knee aches.
I think this was done on a canvas board, but the back side of the board has the remains of puzzle pieces that someone had glued down, and then the pieces either fell off, or someone tried to remove them. It is signed and dated 197?. On both the front of the painting, and the rear, the last number is hard to read. She passed away in 1988.
What a wonderful header for your blog. Your grandmother would be so proud...I love to see how women just keep getting better as they get older....You don't see men doing that!!
ReplyDeleteI love your new header, Jenny, and how special that the landscape was painted by your grandmother! I like the composition and the colors.
ReplyDeleteJust checking in with you on a borrowed lap top. Adelaide was kind enough to loan me hers for the evening. I'm hoping to be blogging again on my computer by next week. Have missed visiting with you...
XO,
Sheila :-)
Now we know where your giftings come from! The painting is just lovely and makes a beautiful header....especially for fall! It is so warm and welcoming.
ReplyDeleteAnge
I love your new header! :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Gayle, Ange, Sheila and Sue.
ReplyDelete