Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Good Morning!

Hello to anybody who may be stopping by! I was out walking this morning, early, because it seems that when the alarm goes off at 5 a.m. for my husband, I have trouble sleeping afterwards. I've decided that I may as well use that time for something other than tossing and turning in bed. Hopefully, getting out early for a walk will become a habit.

I have mentioned before that I enjoy sitting at my kitchen table while I drink my coffee, and read the newspaper. I almost need to do these things before I start my day. I proceed to do the crossword puzzle and cryptoquote, and intermittently gaze out the window and watch the birds and squirrels compete for food from our feeders. Today, when I finished these "activites" by 7, I knew I had no more excuses, and out the door I went.

Mmmm! The air smelled delicious. We had had a brutal storm yesterday, around 6 p.m., and I guess it cleared the air a bit. I could smell the honeysuckle, which seems to smell so sweetly everywhere but in my garden. I have been told that it is the "wild kind" that smells, and what we have planted (two varieties) don't smell? Have you ever heard of that before?
I wish I'd taken my camera. There, through the pine trees, were the rays of the sun, casting a gorgeous glow.
Later, when I walked the dog, history repeated itself. The floral scents were still making me dizzy, but again, no camera. Our poor old dog doesn't always like to go very far for his walk. Sometimes he goes just one block and he is ready to come home. So feeling lazy, I didn't grab the camera. Dang. We walked! And on our way home a deer appeared in a front yard, and walked in our direction. He looked at us, and started toward us, picking up speed. I actually thought he was gunning for us! At the last moment however, he veered off and ran in front of us, and into the driveway of the house we were just approaching. Anybody will tell you that deer appear frequently enough around here, but when I see them, I am usually in my car. I have to say I felt vulnerable. And not too happy that I'd left my camera at home. He was beautiful. And as frightened as I was by his "charge," he was beautifully graceful.

2 comments:

  1. Even without your camera your words gave me a mind-picture of that deer! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful morning!! Yes, whenever I discipline myself to get out the door early I am always richly rewarded : )! Especially on these hot and muggy pre-summer days!!

    ReplyDelete