Monday, January 24, 2011

Keeping Warm

Anybody who has read my blog knows that “occasionally” I will speak about my children and their accomplishments. I have been blessed with pretty wonderful kids, and I am extremely thankful. (Just to let you know- there were some pretty trying times with my twin sons, when between the ages of five and nine, a day didn’t go by when we didn’t get a call from one of the three principals who were in charge during those years.)
I have also written about the joys I get from children in general. There is just something so wonderful about the “rediscovery” of the more simple things in life through the eyes of a child.

Now that my kids are older, issues are decidedly more complex, and one or another of my four still manages to knock the socks off my feet on any given day.
The latest? The daughter who spent the year in San Diego last year, working for the homeless at a clinic. She is back in NJ now, working at a hospital in Pediatrics, but those she dealt with last year are still on her mind, as well as the homeless who are much closer in proximity to where she lives now. This is her blog The Rhythm of LOVE.
Her latest entry is about the homeless and the joy in receiving SOCKS, and this is why I write today about SOCKS.
Lately, our temperatures have been very low. At 7a.m. this morning, I couldn’t read my thermometer clearly because the needle was so close to zero. Now it is just past 2:30p.m., and it is a balmy 18 degrees. (Sarcasm.)
This is a photo of my backyard, snapped a couple of days ago while in the comforts of my kitchen, waiting for the coffee to perk.
As I walked our dog earlier this morning, I was comfortable for the most part. Layers of clothing helped. It was just as we were nearing our home that I realized my hands were becoming numb. Usually my hands AND my feet feel the cold.
I don’t own a pair of those popular fur-lined boots, but today I wore my KNEE SOCKS! I love knee socks. The woolly kind...for my everyday chase the chills winter wear, there is nothing like a good old fashioned pair of knee socks. I am thankful that I have them.
Just as my daughter wondered though, I wonder too. What ABOUT the folks in the tents? What ABOUT the others who don’t have shelter, or for some reason refuse to go to one? These are the thoughts that can knock the socks right off my feet.


3 comments:

  1. It's been such a cold winter, and you have made an excellent point. What about them?

    I volunteer for an elder care non profit, and we are always concerned for them. But at the very least, they have shelter and food. There are so many who don't.

    They have been stealing the frost blankets off of our plants, and this is Florida. They do open the churches on the coldest nights, but a lot of the homeless are mentally ill and don't want to come inside. And think how much colder it is where you are. Your daughter is right to be concerned as we all should be.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenny for bringing this to my attention. I have been so busy whining about the weather, and worrying about the little critters outside, that I didn't give much thought to the homeless people. I will contact our church today and suggest a donation. We have a mitten tree around Christmas, and donate gloves, scarves and coats, but socks...such a basic need!
    ♥, Susan
    P.S. My kids could easily have given your twins a run for the money...Karissa especially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also going to try to figure something out as well. Thanks to both of you!
    j.

    ReplyDelete