Last week I reported to the County Courthouse for Jury Duty. I carried with me this book that had been loaned to me a few weeks before.I never did get called for a trial, but I was able to get far enough into the book to know that if I didn’t finish it, I wouldn’t be able to think of anything else. The first night of reading, my eyes wouldn’t stay open, but the second night, I was up until 2 a.m. reading AND crying my eyes out. As all the loose ends came together (though one part seemed a bit far-fetched) I think I cried harder. Now, I don’t need to cry to appreciate a book, but it moved me that much.
In its most basic form, it is the story of three women- a mother and her two daughters, but it is truly more complex than that. We see their present lives, and go back in time to the mother’s life in Leningrad. There is heartbreak, and joy, and even a combination of the two at the same time.
I recently also read Anita Shreve’s, Fortune’s Rocks. This story takes place in the late 1800’s in New Hampshire, and for some of the story, at a home by the sea. The descriptions of the sunlight on the sand and water, the smell of sea air, the heat of a beach in summer, and the cold of winter- were right on target. The main character was brought up in a well-to-do family, but falls in love with a married man, and well, I don’t want to tell too much. I enjoyed reading this as well.
I would like to laughingly add though, that at one point in the story, while the woman is at the house by the sea, and cleaning it from top to bottom, the frenzy with which she does this, almost made me want to throw on my work clothes and do the same in my home! I am really laughing as I admit this- because though I like a clean house, and I do spend time cleaning it, I NEVER WANT to do it! I guess there is something about Anita’s writing that moves me. Or almost moves me. I didn’t get up to clean, I just kept on reading.
Has anyone else read either book?
I've seen the first book. Now you make me want to read it. And obviously I NEED to read the second book. I could really use some inspiration to go on a cleaning frenzy : )!!
ReplyDeleteJenny, I am currently reading Sea Glass by Anita Shreve. I am almost finished with it, and although it took a while to get into it, I am enjoying it now. I will have to find a copy of Fortune's Rocks next.
ReplyDelete♥, Susan
Hi and Happy St Patrick's Day...try to enjoy the corned beef...it really is wonderful if cooked right....Next time convince the hubby to cook it in the crock pot. You cannot imagine the differance that makes...You will actually want to eat it...it's that good. Trust me!!.....I have not read either of these books but the one near the beach sounds interesting....I am reading the Bio of Doris Duke only because next time I'm in Jersey I want to go by her mansion in SOmerville and see the grounds....daughter lives close by and we always drive by it...It sounds very interesting from the book...Hope you survived that nasty weather over the weekend...I saw pictures from Princeton and there are trees uprooted everywhere....and it's always good to hear from you....I just found two more bloggers from Jersey which is always exciting....Now go eat your corned beef and try to smile like your really enjoying it!!
ReplyDeleteSusan, I loaned out Frtune's Rocks, but if I ever get it back, I will pass it on to you.
ReplyDeleteHave you read her Light on Snow? That book stayed with me...in my head, and in my house. You could borrow that if you'd like.
Corned beef was good- don't need it again now for another year!
Hi Jenny...I haven't read either of the books you mentioned but they sound very interesting. Thanks for coming by my blog and for your flattering comments about my art work. I found a website the other day...I haven't signed up but it looks very promising.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
Laterz
Mary
Have read other works by these authors, but not these. Great reviews by you, though, so I plan to look for them at the library. If Fortunes Rocks inspired you to want to clean your house, I think I'd better read it!!:)
ReplyDeleteHi Mary!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the website info. I took a quick look, and will go back to read the finer details another time.
Judy, It was only one part of the book- and remember, I said I didn't get up to clean- I kept on reading!
Hi Jenny
ReplyDeleteI am a big Anita Shreve fan and I think I have read every one of her books. I do that -- I find an author I like and then read all their works. I've done that for so many. Before blogging I was a voracious book reader but that has slowed down a little because now I read blogs...lol