Monday, May 18, 2009

More Milestones!

Wow- it's been over a week since my last post?? I hadn't realized this because I had been keeping up with you until lately, and I know it's been days now, since I have been able to do even that.
Thank you for your comments. I enjoyed reading them.

We’ve had a couple of good reasons to celebrate lately. I hope this doesn't sound like I am bragging!!!!
Daughter number 1 finished her graduate studies, and graduated from ASU last week. She also has a job lined up. Yippee!
Her graduation was Obama's first Commencement speech as President. She was twenty rows back from him. No matter how you may feel about him, the fact remains that having the President of this country speak at your graduation, can make an exciting time, even more so.
That's my girl there- the one with the really HUGE smile!
Though we were with her for her first graduation, we could not physically be with her this time because we were scheduled to be at daughter #2’s graduation over the weekend.
Someone asked me which was a nicer ceremony- and which did I enjoy more. I couldn’t say. My daughters are different from one another, their schools were very different, and the festivities surrounding the graduations were different. But because of these reasons, though each was unique, they were equally special to my husband and me.
The first daughter graduated from college in 2005. It was one of those times in my life that I will never forget. The joy that I felt couldn't be explained. My husband and I had put a child through college, she had had a wonderful experience, and my parents were able to attend the weekend festivities with us (in Washington, D.C.) The ceremony itself was memorable because Tim Russert was the Commencement Speaker, and after each graduate’s name was announced, he or she then went up onto the stage to shake hands and to pick up the diploma.

Daughter #2, also had had a wonderful four years at her school, accomplished much in her time there, and though the grandparents weren’t with us this time, we met many of her dear friends, and professors, who obviously were very fond of her.
Her Commencement speaker was Admiral William J. Fallon. We didn’t know what to expect from him in the way of a speech, but he was actually pretty interesting. Jay Wright, the basketball coach also spoke, and if you know college ball, you know that the kids love this guy.
We will be bringing our daughter home by the end of the week, and I think we are going to miss the school as much as she will.

A big difference between this graduation, and the one in AZ that we didn’t get to? This weekend’s ceremony was outdoors under heavy clouds that threatened rain. It was so cold that we had to bundle up in whatever we could find! I think it was 40 degrees, and there was a strong wind blowing through that stadium. You would have thought we were there for a late season football game!
Humorously enough, the temperature during the AZ graduation had reached 99 degrees! Horrors! I had felt so sorry for those kids in their robes. If there was such a thing as compromise with the weather, both graduations could have been a nice 70 or so.

With the passing of these two events, I wonder, where does the time go??


7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a time you have had. You should be proud! That is a fine accomplishment for the girls and for you and your husband. I heard about these graduation speakers on tv, the weather too! I wish your girls all the health, happiness and success as they step out in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to celebrate such happy events. Congratulations to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to both of your girls AND their parents! What an accomplishment!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to both your daughters! I wish them much happiness and success in their chosen careers.
    I know how you feel as my son got his graduate degree a few years ago, and my daughter will be receiving hers in early June. To have children who have completed Master degrees makes a parent feel so proud, and so happy for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Jenny, you guys must be so proud! These milestones are a testament to your family and especially to you. You did good "MOM". Let me know when you have free time...we will have to celebrate.
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Teresa, Judy, Sheila, Pat, and Susan, for your kind words and wishes. It is a good feeling to see them on their way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you and your daughters! I think it is wonderful to read such great raves over your precious children and to sense your pleasure in them. Many Blessings.

    Ange

    ReplyDelete