Of course I remembered that I had to transfer towels to the dryer, and I had promised my son that I would wash his work clothes for his shift tonight at a local restaurant.
But with that done, I went outside for the newspaper and found that it hadn’t yet arrived, so I made my coffee, opened windows, picked up the latest book that I am reading; The Gatehouse, by Nelson DeMille, and quietly read for an hour.
The newspaper eventually came, so I took my coffee to my favorite early morning place at the kitchen table. Here, with the windows open, I can feel the breezes, and really smell the lilac that is in bloom. What a powerful scent that is. I cut a few stems and placed them in the living room, and between those and the scent from the bush outside, the entire downstairs smells like lilacs.
It truly is a beautiful and peaceful morning. I looked out the window at the garden we started 2 years ago and noticed that between the azaleas, hosta, honeysuckle, rhododendron, and hydrangea, we have a lot of pinks and purples, plus the orange of the honeysuckle. I still have to fill the urn with something- and that was what I was thinking about, when I decided to snap this picture. My eyes had to pass over the lilac and the peonies which are also blooming. The photo was taken through the screen of the window, but I love the way the sunlight is poking through the leafed-out trees.

When I looked in the opposite direction I saw that many more iris(‘s?) were blooming than just 2 days ago, so I went outside to snap this photo.
Well, as I said, it’s pretty peaceful. There is the whir of the dryer, the sound of soft breezes, the birds are singing and the air is filled with the sweetness of flowers. Pretty soon, one by one, the house will come alive with it’s inhabitants, and that’s ok. For right now though, everyone (minus 1) is home and asleep in their own beds. It’s my mother’s day.
your garden is just lovely! is that astilbe i see blooming in tall spires in the foreground of the first photo? i love astilbe but have learned that it does not like a lot of sun.
ReplyDeleteHi Julie-
ReplyDeleteYou're right- it does look like astilbe, but it is actually the lilac bush.
j.
Gorgeous pictures! The Iris patch is just amazing!
ReplyDeleteXO,
Sheila :-)
I have a white lilac outside and enjoy the scent as well...wonderful! Your yard is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful flowers...I'm envious!
ReplyDeleteI love your lilacs! I had only two shoots of them this year, but I only planted them in a big flower pot last year, so I was so happy to see them!
ReplyDelete