I will pass these few on to you.
When you stand at the shore, and gaze out at the water, what word comes to mind?
When are you most lonely?
What sound would beauty make?
What color is love?
What is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?
If there is anyplace you could travel to right now, where would that be?
I once cancelled an art-based trip to Italy when I was in college, and I have often thought about how crazy that was, since I have never had the chance again to go there. Then I thought about California, where my husband and I had our first baby, and I haven't seen since leaving 23 years ago. Now, I am really a homebody. I love to spend time here. I can be inside, or outside in the yard shoveling snow or mulch- it doesn't matter as long as I am home. But if I had to choose to go somewhere, it would be Scottsdale AZ. where daughter #1 lives. She has been living and working there for about 4 years- since graduating from college -and is now in graduate school out there. The trip would be a chance to spend time with her, and a time to visit my little paradise. Two years ago in April, daughter #2 and I took a few days off and flew out there for a visit. We arrived late Thursday night, and were on a plane again on Monday. It was really a quick visit. My daughter was the best tour guide- making sure to point things out as we drove, to stop at interesting sites, to introduce us to her friends. She went beyond the call of duty as a daughter and a sister. And to top it all, we never felt rushed. We were very relaxed.
I wouldn't call myself a religious person, but I believe in God, and I see Him in sunrises and sunsets, in clouds, and the oceans, the mountains, even in the love of my husband, and my children. But when my daughter took us to Sedona, I think I felt the most at peace that I had ever been (save for the sleep I fell into after having the babies!) We went up Airport Road, I believe it is called, and climbed this rock. There are other people in front of us that you can see. Even going up, I was a bit worried about the climb down. It was steep.
My girls are here- trying to relax and experience the vortex. It felt like we were on the edge of the world. It was so quiet. Whoever was there, spoke in hushed tones- unless it only seemed like that because maybe all the space and air swallowed the sound. I don't know.



Such a beautiful post. You must also be so proud of you kids. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhere did you live in California...I used to live there.
My husband took me to Sedona...it is amazing, isn't it.
Loved your post today.
While I ponder your questions...and they really are interesting to think about, I have to tell you that Karissa was also very taken with that area of the world when she was there last year. Perhaps it is an artists soul that can see the most in those mountains. She came home very inspired and has also shared your desire to return.
ReplyDelete♥, Susan
I loved Sedona when I visited years ago. I have family in AZ too...in Mesa and Gilbert.
ReplyDeleteTruest thing I know is a baby's smile.
We just visited Sedona in December and I agree. You can feel the vortex. We took an amazing hot air balloon ride over the red rocks. Check it out at http://marewheeee.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog. I was deleting emails and came across your comment.