Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Quick One

I thought I would share a "prayer" or a poem that my daughter read to her group on one of those nights she was away. Every night someone chose something from this same book (I am dumb enough to not know what book) to read aloud. This was not an easy thing for her to do- she only knows a few prayers- and is not crazy about reading aloud- but this is the one she chose. She said it is called "Passover Remembered", and I thought I would share it with you.
Some of you will probably recognize this.

Pack nothing. Bring only your determination to serve and your willingness to be free.

Do not hesitate to leave your old ways behind- fear, silence, submission. Only surrender to the need of the time- to love justice and walk humbly with your God.

Set out in the dark. I will send fire to warm and encourage you. I will be with you in the fire and I will be with you in the clouds.

You will learn to eat new food and find refuge in new places. I will give you dreams in the desert to guide you safely home to that place you have not yet seen.

The stories you tell one another around the fires in the dark will make you strong and wise.

Some of you will be so changed by weathers and wanderings that even your closest friends will have to learn your features as though for the first time. Some will find new friendships in unlikely faces, and old friends as faithful and true as the pillar of God’s flame.

Sing songs as you go and hold close together. You may at times grow confused and lose your way. You will get to where you are going by remembering who you are. Touch each other and keep telling stories.


I will be sharing my Different Strokes painting in a day or two. I am just giving myself time away from it so that I can see it with fresh eyes again.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that prayer, it is very inspiring and wonderful. I know you are very proud of her....amongst all your relief. Look forward to seeing your painting. Heck, you left a comment that I was going to respond to, another thing we have in common. I will get back.....duh......just like me to not be able to retrieve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! Now you sound like me!
    was it the president/treasurer thing?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that I heard that poem a while back. Lovely words as true today as when they were written?
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, this is marvelous! Thank you for sharing this prayer with us. I'm just relieved she's home, safe and sound and had such a great trip.

    Speaking of your painting and art, I want you to take a look at the tree I posted today if you haven't already. As an artist, you won't believe the color of the blossoms against the blue, blue Central Florida sky.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful prayer! It seem apropo to my post about the LES tenement immigrants because they could have recited similar words about coming to America.
    Yes --Katz'a Deli is not far from the Tenement Museum --both in the Lower East side within walking distance. I'll be showing a few more photos I took from that area in my next post. On Sunday Grant Street becomes a pedestrian mall and all the shops are selling bargains. It's a great place to visit and walk around and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a nice prayer! i'm going to post it above my mac in my art room! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this prayer! How lovely!!

    ReplyDelete