Yesterday we hit another one in our family. It was "Grandma's" 85th birthday. My sensitive, beautiful mother's first birthday without her Arthur next to her. Her husband of 65 1/2 years. Her special someone for nearly 68.
This morning, when we spoke, and again just a few minutes ago, she said that yesterday had been a lovely day. It was better than she had imagined it. Her children and grandchildren all either visited, or called her on the phone. Her brother visited, and brought her these flowers (too bad this is the back side of them) and a yummy cake filled with blueberries and strawberries.

Tomorrow is another milestone. It is what would have been my parent's 66th wedding anniversary. She was practically a baby when they married.
They'd met in the summer of 1940 when her family were guests at the hotel that his family happened to take over that summer. It was in Long Branch, NJ where the famous Max's Hotdogs restaurant now stands. She hadn't been allowed to date before, as she was only 16 (though mature for her age) but my grandfather must have seen something in this young man of 24 (yikes!) because he gave his consent for her to go on a date with him. My dad later admitted that he'd had no idea that she was as young as she was. But they dated, and his cousin allowed them to use his car...
And they dated.

She went to Skidmore college on a music scholarship, and he visited.
But when it looked like he was going to be sent overseas due to WWII, she left school, and they married.
(I just threw this next photo in. This is me in 1980, with my dad, in my mom's dress.)
You could say my folks lived a charmed life. They had a son, followed by two girls, traveled around this country, and Europe, and bought their eventual retirement home at the beach which was always filled to capacity with visiting family and friends.
When illness struck, they stuck together and fought together. They were a couple who loved each other, and gave lessons in love, just by being themselves.
A couple whose grandchildren could do no wrong.
Tomorrow night, we will be going out together to a local restaurant and we will continue to celebrate "Grandma's" life, and this next milestone.
When illness struck, they stuck together and fought together. They were a couple who loved each other, and gave lessons in love, just by being themselves.
A couple whose grandchildren could do no wrong.
Tomorrow night, we will be going out together to a local restaurant and we will continue to celebrate "Grandma's" life, and this next milestone."And the seasons, they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game."
Joni Mitchell

I LOVE your post, so sweet and sentimental. It had to be hard for your mom (and the rest) to celebrate without your dad. What a beautiful family!!!! The photos of them are awesome, thanks for throwing in that one of you in her wedding dress. Sounds like their lives together were full and blessed and I hope her years to come will continue with blessings. I love the photo of the flowers because of the two pairs of aged hands holding the flowers. Enjoy your time with your mom. Big Hug
ReplyDeleteJenny, I've been MIA, but I hope I'm not too late to wish your special mom a special day!
ReplyDeleteLoved all of these photos and the story behind them. This is a lovely tribute to a lovely lady and her special guy.
Hope you all have a wonderful time together!
Sending you much love...
XO,
Sheila :-)
What a lovely story of hope! The value of marriage and family is priceless and what a legacy your parents have given! Thank you for sharing such an inspiring story! Love the photos!
ReplyDeleteHappy, happy birthday to your Mom. With tears in my eyes, this was a very lovely post. You know how I feel about your parents...this must have been a little difficult for both you and your mom. Please give her a big hug from me.
ReplyDelete♥, Susan
nice post.. but thats my least fav pic of me from xmas.
ReplyDeleteo yah, the rest of the story was beautiful and i miss the yellow house!!
(obv. missing grandpa is a give-in...)
This is a beautiful post Jenny. You and your Mom were lovely brides! You Dad is so handsome, and I think you look like him. He had a beautiful family to be proud of!
ReplyDeleteHappy belated birthday to your Mom. I'm sure your Dad was with her in spirit for both happy occasions.
Absolutely beautiful post...those first milestones after a loss are tough ones, but give us such strength with each passing. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful post.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a sweet post. Since I'm just now discovering your blog, I took some time to read through several of your posts ... I love your blog! The photo documentation is super, and adds such a great visual element to each post. I am utterly flattered to see the mention of my blog and my quote, thank you so much Jenny
ReplyDeleteWhat an endearing post and lovely sentiment--a wonderful tribute to your family.
ReplyDeleteFaye