Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Contentment

This week I participated in the Mind Wide Open weekly challenge which dictated the use of the central image and could include the prompt word "contentment".
Here is my entry. The white background is not a part of the design. I goofed when I used it as the background for the photo, because of its pattern.

The little girl's face just moved me. She is so precious to me, that I pictured her on a pillow in a little girl's bedroom. "Contentment" is spelled out with the little letter beads that are like the beads that made up my baby bracelet. All the supplies used are things that I have had in my possession for so many years that it isn't even funny. The background fabric is leftover from a skirt, the buttons were my mother's, the wavy trim around the central picture is also a hand me down from my mother. The larger lace was leftover from a dress that I had made for my AZ. daughter 24 years ago. The appliques in the corners were made from pieces I cut from a sample piece of fabric that has been in my trunk of fabrics for far too long to admit. The only new thing was the fabric I used to print the image of the girl.
This project was fun to do, and I was happy to recycle those items, but I realized that even though I had just organized the room last fall after we painted it, the individual containers that hold my supplies were not organized well enough. I have ribbons and laces separate from fabrics, and buttons pretty well organized by color, and beads in their own containers, thread in another, and well, you get the idea, but I saw almost immediately that I could make my life easier just by spending a little time further tweaking the containers. So that is what I started last night, spent time on today, and hope to get back to tomorrow.
If you have the time, check out Mind Wide Open. I find it a pretty interesting place to visit. I am aware that the detail of the pillow does not show on that site, but I didn't know that clicking on the photo wouldn't make it larger. Oh well! You can click on these photos to enlarge them.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful keepsake you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think she's wonderful! You did a great job on this. Loved all the little details that make this pillow so special, and the face on the girl is enchanting as are the other detalis.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful work of art! It is just lovely. I am off to see Mind Wide Open.
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pillow is so sweet...loved all the lace. I don't think we will ever see whales around here (the Ozarks).

    ReplyDelete