Thursday, July 2, 2009

Easy Reads

She sits in her house
Overlooking the sea
The winds blow
The tide changes
And in her mind’s eye
She is free.


This painting/collage was started about 2 years ago. Thinking I was done with it, I framed it. Last week I took it out of its frame and reworked it. Unfortunately the watercolor paper looks warped in the photo, and the border is a really dark purple, not black.
I am going to confess something. I have an obsession with books. I love them. I will read a review, or hear about a book that is supposed to be wonderful, and I have to read it. I don't always take out books from the library because I like the fact that I can pick up a book at will and take however long I need to finish reading it. It is a vice of mine. I don't smoke/drink/go to the movies much (once a year, maybe) but I do buy books. And after reading my book, sometimes I will agree with the recommendation, and sometimes I wonder why it was so well received in the first place.
I also have this other crazy obsession about magazines. I receive a couple of monthlies in the mail, as does my husband, and I must read them before a book or they will start to pile up.
However, that being said, I have been able to read these 2 and 1/2 books and I will offer them as books you may want to read as well...
Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore, which I first heard about from Ange at A HEART AT HOME. Hard to give a brief synopsis about this one, but I gave it to my nurse daughter who will be spending the next 9 months-1 year, in San Diego, working at a clinic there.
Twyla Tharp's, The Creative Habit, will inspire you to keep looking and seeing and feeling and trying new ideas. I don't remember who suggested this book- but it is an easy read- and really terrific.
I am now reading Eat, Pray Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert, which was originally recommended by a girlfriend about 2 years ago. So far so good. This author picked herself up after an awful divorce and then breakup with another, and took a chance with her life. This is as far as I have gotten, but she peppers her writing with humor, which makes this an easy read (so far) as well.
No, I am not all about easy reads, these are simply coincidences.
I have an almost houseful of people around me at the moment, and they are migrating one-by-one to the kitchen where I am sitting and typing this. What might they be looking for I wonder? Dinner?? Oh dear.

5 comments:

  1. I love your collage, Jennifer, and I share a book obsession with you. I tend to read and re-read the classics. Some books truly are like old friends.

    Thanks for your recommendations. I appreciate it. I just wish I had more time to read of late. I've got a stack on my table to finish!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun that you redid the collage! it must have been niggling at your brain for some time -- i need a make-over, i need a make-over!

    i have your same love of books!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I really like that collage. I have noticed that there can be a theme of female forms and faces in your work that often have an etheral quality. I also love to read and although I would never hesitate to buy a book, this has been the year of reading books that others have given to me. I am currently getting through a goup of three books given to me by my oldest daughter. She was right..I am enjoying them, and yes, I am still reading while walking on the treadmill. I hope that you will get to see some fireworks this weekend...I expect that we will. Hungry young adults? Always!
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. ABsolutely love your collage....gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collage is so interesting! Did you ever see the magazine Somerset Studio? I think you'd like it ...lots o beautiful paper art.

    I am a reader, too, Jen. I live three blocks from my neighborhood's public library so I am in it a few times a week picking out books. I read and enjoyed E-P-L I wanted to follow up on Ms Gilbert afterward...she should write a sequel.
    Thanks for the other recommendations...they are all new to me!

    ReplyDelete