Detail of The Body of Abel Found by Adam and Eve (c. 1825) by William BlakeI have been reading a lot of gruesome stories in the papers lately, and hearing awful stories on the news about people who must have reached the ends of their ropes in order to do those things that are being reported. Stress can do an awful amount of damage.
I am even getting the feeling that some bloggers are feeling stressed. It happens. Or is it that I am simply reading that into your blogs because of how I am feeling??
In our day to day living, we can break down our activities into three categories. There are things in life that we want (or would like) to do, things we have to do, and things we should do.
The want-to-dos are pretty easy to imagine. They can be different for everybody, but basically they are the fun things- the stuff that gives us that satisfied, happy feeling- even if there is a challenge involved (like my painting efforts.)
The have-to-dos are pretty easy to imagine as well; work, pay taxes, provide for the welfare of our family, etc.
The should-dos can be as simple as- drinking that water, exercising, taking care of those who need help- we all have those kinds of lists.
Like I said, either I have been reading my feelings into other’s blogs, or I have been reading that much of the balance has shifted. I know that in life- the have-to-dos, and the should-dos, can seem to be unending. A family member needs you again and again, or a friend needs help, or the job needs more hours to complete than anticipated, or the house that was just cleaned yesterday ALREADY HAS DOG HAIR ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR AND ON THE FAMILY ROOM RUG!
When there is an unbalance you can begin to feel overwhelmed. We have to make sure to do things for ourselves (and even our families) that we WANT to do to keep that balance in check.
Tuesday and yesterday were a little crazy. The phones (the house and my cell) kept ringing with people who needed help, as in every single person in my immediate family AND my siblings called with things they needed of me. (My should-dos!) Yes, it is good to be needed, and I am fortunate to have these beloved people in my life, but woof!
In a short while I will be picking up the phone to take care of the business calls that I HAVE to make that I was unable to complete yesterday, and then get out to do some of those errands that HAVE to get done. Thank goodness the sun is out today (check out those clouds!) and it is supposed to warm up over the weekend. I have plans- if life doesn’t get in the way- to do what I WANT to do over the weekend- hopefully beginning with garage sales tomorrow, and continuing on to Saturday. Fortunately my husband enjoys these with me, as we are in need of a little fun to share together, plus, I also WOULD LIKE to get back to the little room to continue on with my painting. That room, if you remember from past blogs, causes him to shake his head in wonder at the looks of it.
Here’s hoping that we all get to do the things that make us balanced, happy, and thankful for the good in our lives.
This is a great message Jenny and a great reminder to take time to do the things we love and to think on things that are postiive, lovely,of good report and virtuous. Thank you for taking time to remind us to take care of our own hearts in a time where bad news and stress can wither them should we not guard them. Wonderful wisdom and insight you have!
ReplyDeleteAnge
P.S. and on a personal note, I am trying to teach my children that I can not provide all things for them and sometimes I just have to say no. Can be tough to do sometimes.
Okay....how did you get in my head....how are you living part of my life too? I have been feeling overwhelmed for awhile but more so lately because I have been feeling worse. I enjoy blogging but sometimes feel a bit stressed about that too. Hope you have a wonderful time at the garage sales and let's hope we both can get to some painting!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written and very much appreciated! Thank you for writing this post. :-)
ReplyDeleteIt's funny, Jenny, because some of the things I "have to do" have become pleasures. Like taking my car to the car wash. That feels good. Or washing my clothes and having clean clothes. There's nothing like fresh laundry. And yet, I look at the area surrounding my computer which is in dissray due to an exceptionally few crazy weeks, and it sits, untouched.
ReplyDeleteMy priorities for this weekend don't include cleaning it, either. This weekend I am doing something for someone else, but I know I will end up being more blessed than they will. A friend and I are taking two frail seniors to a symphony concert for seniors. I am selfishly giving them corsages because I want to watch their faces light up from receiving flowers. What woman on earth doesn't love flowers? And these seniors ask so little in return. A smile is a HUGE gift to me, but even if they don't smile, I will, because I'm doing it an unto the Lord. I guess I shouldn't be talking about it, but I thought it would be a neat thing to pay forward. Maybe someone else who reads this will think so, too, and pay something forward to a senior citizen.
XO,
Sheila :-)