Remember that I said I was having trouble focusing? Well, on Friday, I went into my little room and put this painting on my easel, determined to put some more oil down on it. I have been working slowly (very slowly) and hesitatingly on this one, as I want it to look like the animal it is supposed to be (my sister's St. Bernard!) In other words, as realistic as I am capable of doing.
For fun, I pulled out a canvas board and thought I would try some of the methods that a couple of those demonstrators showed last week. I have yet to use any of those free samples, but I am taking his "freedom to experiment" thinking along for the ride. This is only the start, because I have done more to it since this was painted. MAYBE I will share this when I feel it is completed. It's looking a bit Eastery- isn't it with that color combo? I think I toned down the pink since this photo was taken.
Oh- there is one more. I started a sketch of this weeks ago and finally got it onto this canvas and started painting in acrylic. It is based on a photo that my niece took last year when we went to a show in the city (NY) together. I am working slowly on this one too, as I am not totally sure how I want to complete this.
I will say though, that even though I had the three different paintings going, I was able to concentrate solely on the one being played with/worked on- and I felt like I was accomplishing something. I lost that feeling of anxiety that was caused by not knowing what to do first. mmmmm…Every Saturday, my husband and I go to a local deli and pick up sandwiches for ourselves, my mom, the same niece mentioned above, and any of the kids who may be home and interested in eating. What usually happens, is that my sandwich is so filling, that I only eat half, and then save the rest for dinner. Ahaa!!! I don’t make breakfast, I eat “brunch” and then I don’t cook Saturday night either. If anyone gets hungry, that person will make something for himself/herself, and offer to do the same for anybody else who may also be feeling hungry. I don’t even mind finding pots/pans or dishes in the sink.
But what I wanted to really share with you are these cakes that are showcased in the deli, right where you have to pass in order to place your order.
You tell me if you think they don’t look good!
A little Easter Basket-
Carrot cake and???
But the best of all...oh- the color is lost! It is the exact color of a Tiffany's box! It is so beautiful, it looks too good to eat!
Saturday’s sky brought what we would call in this house, Sky Dog clouds. When my demon daughter (number 1) was about 2 years old,
we borrowed a book from the library called Sky Dog. It was an adorable book about a little boy who sees shapes in the clouds- one being a dog. It was a really, really cute story. Well, one day, when I wasn’t looking this little one (who happens to be very artistic) drew in the book with crayons, so we ended up buying the book from the library. We still have it in the attic. I can't part with it. The book was enjoyed by all the kids, and we still play the sky dog game- as old as they are- but please don’t tell their friends! They would be mortified!! Here’s my sky dog from Saturday. It happens to look like a duck to me, though. Can you see it? The beak and head are just at about the center of the photo.
Why do I call my daughter a demon? She isn’t anymore of course, but again, when she was little, she drew on the living room walls in crayon (how many times do you think it took before her mother realized that she shouldn't leave implements such as crayons, pencils, pens, laying around?) We had just painted those walls a couple of months prior- when we moved into that house. When I saw the walls and asked her about them (I had a lot of patience back then) she simply pointed to the cover of the NY Times magazine section which had GRAFFITI on it! What could I say?


The photos of the clouds are awesome. Especially the ones that look like they were taken at twilight? Your paintings are coming along beautifully too. I knew you would center yourself, and I figured that it would probably be in your studio. At least we have some sunshine today :)
ReplyDelete♥, Susan
Jenny, you've done a wonderful job on that dog! Wow! And I can't wait to see where you go with the other paintings.
ReplyDeleteThose cakes are amazing, and I love sky shots about as much as anything. It's amazing how different a sky looks on even an hourly basis.
XO,
Sheila :-)
All of your paintings are looking really nice....look forward to seeing them complete...yeah, you can share it with us! Those cakes are beautiful...do you agree that most often 'showcase' desserts never taste as good as they look? Thanks for sharing about your daughter...funny, I am going to post a link later to my niece's blog..you should read about her 2 and 4 year old boys! Love the cloud shots, the pinks and the blues...thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThoroughly enjoyed your post..and that St. Bernard painting touched my heart.
ReplyDeleteLove your post! The cakes made my mouth water! Your doggie painting is adorable! Be blessed today!
ReplyDeleteJenny, thanks for coming by and leaving the nice comments...I like the dog painting too...I'm a dog person. And the cakes look yummy and festive!
ReplyDeleteHi, Jenny ~ ~ So you're trying out Lucy's crochet pattern, hun? Is it really complicated? I bet there are You Tube videos that will show you the different stitches. I'm doing well to remember the purl and knit in knitting . . . can't imagine adding in crochet stitches!! You need to show it on your blog so we can cheer your progress through it! I can believe your adventurous painting. I haven't got a molecule of painting/sketching ability. So, I stand in awe and reverence of those that do!! Looks like they're coming along nicely!!
ReplyDeleteHi Jenny
ReplyDeleteI like all three paintings but the St. Bernard is fantastic ..you really captured the sad eyes they have.
I love to look for cloud formations too!
Do you believe that none of my children ever wrote on my walls with crayons? Everyone I know has a crayon kid who did that! :-)
i just simply cannot be constrained by canvases... :)
ReplyDeleteI love Ozzie's pic