Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Good Morning!

I was reading your blogs this morning, and was reminded by Mille Fiori Favoriti that April is National Poetry month. She has a Sara Teasdale poem there, accompanied by a very pretty photo. But it made me think about my favorite poems.

This poem, by William Wordsworth, has been one of my all time favorites, ever since I first saw the movie Splendor in the Grass, with Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty.

What though the radiance
which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the grass
of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death,
In years that bring the philosophic mind.


And since that seems pretty heavy duty, I will go on to say that I was also reminded of this book-

back cover

The copyright date is 1914, and has this on the inside-
I bought it for $8.00 (according to the price penciled on the inside cover) at an antique show in Santa Monica, CA. I have no idea if that was too much, but I had gone to the show with my 11 WEEK(s)-old daughter, and maybe it was the hormones or something, but I had to buy it, then wrote my own note to my daughter and dated it October 20, 1983.
Another demon child (not one of mine for a change!) had added the crayon to the inside cover before it reached my hands.


These are a couple of pages from the book- because this is what is blooming now in my front yard, and my backyard-

And because we have these too-

When I was a child, we had these all over-
I loved the song about the Lily of the Valley at my garden walk. Do you know that song?? They would only ring, when the fairies sing. Or something like that, anyway.

My mother used to cut the Lily of the Valley for me to take to my teachers, and the air was always so much sweeter when they were blooming. Years ago we planted them around the patio here in our backyard. I can see the shoots popping up. They should be blooming by Mother’s Day.

I have to show you this page- many of us know this woman. She is the one who introduced me to you all! Her blog is listed on the left!
I hope you have a wonderful day! In a couple of days, I may post another few photos of those paintings I have been fooling with.
Take care!
jenny







6 comments:

  1. What an interesting post today! I really love those pages from the book and the daisy...yeah, know who that is. Look forward to seeing your art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find you have in that book. I love the cover. Your blog is great and so is your art!
    Mary @ joyfulploys

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, like your blog. I have a book by Elizabeth Gordon called, "Bird Children." The illustrations are by a M.T. Ross - perhaps your book and the one I have are related!

    I love old books. I do still life photography with flowers and sometimes I put old books into the images. I haven't posted one with flowers and books, but I am scheduled to so in less than a week.

    Come by and "smell the flowers" at my blog - http://photographyhints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I would have bought that book too. I have an affinity for the flower fairies and could easily write a book about them. When my kids were little, they built a village in our backyard, just under the screened porch for the fairies to live. I never will forget the day I came upon it and realized what they had done. It touched my heart and soul. This is a very precious book!
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've caught up with all I missed Jen! Thansk for mentioning me in thsi posit --that was so sweet of you!

    I love this antique book and its illustrations. It will be a wonderful heirloom for your daughter one day.

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete