I don't know this fella, but I thought his "seating arrangement" was priceless.Earlier this morning, I read a blog of a lovely woman who was feeling overwhelmed, uninspired in her art, and feeling somewhat helpless. She'd stated she’d been drawing a blank both with her blog, and with her art. Now mind you, from what I have seen, she has a really fine imagination.
But sometimes this happens. Sometimes the mind is so jumbled with the events of our lives that it is hard to focus. I wrote something about that a while back. (I think the painting that I posted yesterday is truly an example of that jumbled mind of mine.) I know I've been writing a little too much about this sort of thing lately, and I will try to stop.
Right after this post.
This lovely woman asked what others do when they draw a blank. The comments and suggestions that came her way demonstrated the good in this blogging world. So many are willing to share parts of themselves. Thoughts, recipes, methods used to create, so much is given. To this particular woman, suggestions were offered such as concentrating only on one subject at a time, as in doing a series of chairs, or shoes, etc., or concentrating on a color- all red subjects, or green, etc., even titling something “uninspired.”
But a couple of the sweetest comments were simple reminders to know that things will be ok. “We just have to pick each other up and tell one another that we've still got it... it's just temporary, we'll get back to creativity soon!”
And at the end of the day “If we've done our best, what more can we do?”
A quote that I copied years ago from a source long forgotten- and one I come across every now and then when looking in my journal of quotes-
God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way.
Have a wonderful day!
jenny
ps- I love shoes, and I love the idea of sketching a series!
and I am done now.
I think.
I've had that quote framed and hanging in our living room! It's been there for over twenty years! :-)
ReplyDeleteI have the opposite problem, too many things going on in my mind to do. I feel like a hose that is on full blast.....it's overwhelming.
ReplyDeleteI feel zapped. I can identify with your friend on most days lately.
ReplyDeleteXO,
Sheila
I think that we all go through phases like this. Kind of a malaise. My mother was never one to allow this sort of "behavior". There was never any whining or talk of depression. She would shoo us out the door or find a cause for us to volunteer our time. Growing up like that, I tend to push myself out the door when I am uninspired. Sometimes I will make a date with one of my kids, letting them dictate what they would like to do. When all else fails, I head to the art galleries, museums, eye candy shops and antique stores. I don't buy anything, just appreciate what others have imagined. When all else fails, I talk to my friends :)
ReplyDelete♥, Susan
I think a series would be a great idea! There are endless possibilities with shoes!
ReplyDeleteI find, when I'm blocked, just telling myself I'll work on something for ten minutes always opens the door to a longer session. Once I'm involved with artwork, i want to continue. It's getting started that's difficult!
Thank you for your great idea for color combinations for yellow. :-) Now, to choose between combinations with yellows in marigolds or forsythia.
ReplyDelete